Kabul, June 21 (Xinhua-ANI): War-torn Afghanistan expects a key international conference on the country's economy to pledge 4 billion U.S. dollars a year after 2014 when all foreign combat troops leave the country, President Hamid Karzai said on Thursday.
"The international community has already pledged some 4.1 billion U.S. dollars to assist the Afghan security forces from 2014 to 2024 in Chicago but we expect the donor nations to pledge such an amount, less or more, in Tokyo conference for economic and non-military assistance," Karzai told a special session of the Afghan parliament.
An international conference on Afghan economy is expected to be held in Tokyo, Japan on July 8.
The Afghan leader also said that the Afghan government is committed to take full control from international forces by 2014 and to fight the rampant administration corruption in the country.
The Afghan leader made the comment while Afghan army and police are getting ready to begin the third phase of a gradual takeover of security responsibility from NATO-led troops in the coming weeks.
The Afghan forces and NATO troops have completed transition in the first two of five tranches of provinces and districts across the country where about half of the Afghan population now lives.
Under U.S. President Barack Obama's withdrawal plan, 10,000 U.S. troops already pulled out from Afghanistan last year and another 23,000 will return home by September this year. (Xinhua-ANI)