New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Here are some quick facts on the elections held Sunday to the trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
* This is the first time that the national capital voted for a trifurcated civic agency, under which the corporations of north and south have 104 wards each, while the east Delhi corporation has 64.
* Over one crore voters were eligible to exercise their franchise across 11,543 booths in the capital to decide the fate of 2,423 candidates.
* This is also the maiden innings for 50 percent reservation for women in the civic body. While the Congress has put up 142 women candidates, the BJP has fielded 139.
* The elections also saw participation by eunuchs, who were allowed to contest as 'others'.
* The polling percentage is expected to see a steep rise as compared to 2007 civic polls. While the voter turnout in 2007 was 42.7 percent, this year its likely to cross 55 percent. East Delhi wards recorded highest polling percentage ranging between 55 to 65 percent.
* The polling percentage this year has crossed the record of 1997 when the voter turnout was 51 percent.
* Of the over one crore eligible voters, women comprised 44 percent. The highest number of women voters are registered in north Delhi.
Read More: New Delhi | Delhi Daredevils | Delhi | South Delhi | North Delhi | South West Delhi | East Delhi | North West Delhi | New Delhi Gpo | New Delhi Ho | Delhi High Court | Delhi Gpo | Municipal Board Ndtso | Chauraha Municipal Board So | Rajkot Municipal Corporation C | Municipal Corporation | Vijayawada Municipal Offi | Municipal Office(guntur) | Municipal Colony | Behala Municipal Market