Tehran, Nov 17 (ANI): Iran has dismissed reports claiming that a recent explosion at a Revolutionary Guard base, which killed its ballistic missile program's top commander, was carried out by Israel or the US.
On Saturday, a huge blast at the Alghadir missile base at Bid Ganeh, killed 17 of the nation's elite revolutionary guards, including Major General Hassan Tehrani Moghaddam, a senior commander described as the pioneer of the regime's missile programme.
A senior Iranian military official denied that Israeli intelligence service Mossad, was linked to the blast.
"The recent incident and blast is not related to Israel or America," the Guardian quoted Iran's armed forces joint chief of staff, Major General Hassan Firouzabadi, as saying.
Firouzabadi said the explosion has disrupted the production of "a very important product" but the base would resume working soon, without elaborating on the nature of what the base had been making.
It is believed that the Alghadir base is a depot for Iran's Shahab-3 missiles, which have a range of 1,200 miles, making them capable of reaching Israel.
After the incident Iran claimed it happened while ammunitions were being moved.
But a US-based commentator having good sources in the Israeli military community said he had been told it was carried out by Mossad, co-operating with an exile group, the People"s Mojaheddin of Iran (MEK). (ANI)