Addu City (Maldives), Nov. 10 (ANI): Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai has said that India has provided enough documentation against Jamaat-ul-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed and others under trial in connection with the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks to Pakistan to be able to forward their case.
To a poser on Pakistan saying that there is insufficient evidence against Hafiz Saeed, Mathai said: "We have provided extensive documentation on Hafiz Saeed and those who are under trial for their involvement in the Mumbai attacks. This evidence has been provided. A number of dossiers have been handed over. We believe there is enough information in that for Pakistan to be able to forward their case against those seven accused."
When asked to comment on Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik's remarks that Kasab should be hanged, Mathai said: "You have quoted the interior minister as having said that Kasab should be sent to the gallows. It would seem that he, then, believes that there is evidence against him."
Declaring Ajmal Kasab a non-state actor and a terrorist, Malik had earlier said that he should be sent to the gallows.
He also said that the proposed visit of a judicial commission to India would help quicken the trial of 26/11 accused in Pakistan.
When asked to comment on Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh calling his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani a 'man of peace', Mathai said: "The PM's assessment is based on the frequent meetings he has had with Gilani. He has met him a very large number of times now, and it's an assessment he's made, based on the nature of his discussions with Mr Gilani, and our Prime Minister's own pursuit of peace, and the fact that he finds a resonance in this. I would presume that is why he has come to this assessment."
Dr. Manmohan Singh had described his Pakistani counterpart Gilani as a "man of peace" after their meeting in Maldives on the sidelines of the 17th SAARC Summit. (ANI)