Jhansi, Oct 5 (ANI): Inflammable gas tank leak due to a truck accident near Baragaon town in Uttar Pradesh's Jhansi District on Wednesday forced authorities to evacuate villagers from the surrounding areas.
The leak occurred when two trucks collided near Baragaon Police Station. One of the trucks was loaded with LPG cylinders, leading to a gas leak scare.
Following the accident, the crew was able to detect the gas leakage due to the whistling sound that came from the truck.
Once the gas leakage was confirmed, authorities asked the villagers to evacuate the areas and asked them to keep their mobile phones switched off to avert any possible harm.
It took almost four hours and continuous efforts from the Bharat Petroleum crew and firefighters to bring the gas leakage under control.
"Actually, we have been informed by the police station around 10'o clock (a.m.), a tanker has met with an accident and there is leakage. We immediately brought our rescue team from the plant, all firefighter equipments, and explosive meter. So that we can figure out how much gas is there and whether it is dangerous or not? The area has been cordoned off," said Narendra Kumar, Coordinator, Bharat Petroleum.
"Route gauge is an instrument, which is used to check the level. It has been used and the gas leakage is under-control. Right now, there is no leakage. We have closed the leakage after arresting it and now it will be taken to the plant where we'll empty the tank. With the help of the fire brigade, we will take the tank," he added.
Emergency services including the firefighters rushed from the plant after reports of the leakage.
The accident has caused massive traffic jams and closure of a section of the highway from Kanpur four-lane highway.
"An accident has taken place due to which there is gas leakage. The accident has taken place due to bursting of a tyre," said a local villager.
As reports of the gas leakage of a tanker reached the villagers, there was a massive scare amongst them of a devastating blast.
The authorities here assured them that the leakage had been brought under control and confirmed that no staff members had been harmed due to the accident. (ANI)