New Delhi, Sep 19 (ANI): Union Home Secretary R. K. Singh on Monday said the Centre is in touch with the Sikkim Government and the rescue operations in quake -hit areas are continuing.
Taking to reporters here, Singh said: "We do not expect major damage. Power has been restored. Roads movement would b e restored by evening."
"Our 12 NDRF team are engaged in rescue of the people along with large number of army and ITBP personnel," he said.
"We are continuously in touch with Sikkim government and no petroleum or food products are in scarcity. Rescue operations are going on," he added.
Meanwhile, the IAF promptly pressed into service its aircraft for relief and rescue operations for the quake affected areas in the North East.
Two C-130J Super Hercules Special Operations aircraft were pressed into service for the first time from Hindan airbase to Bagdogra, carrying nine tonn of relief material and equipment and approx 200 National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) personnel. One IL-76 dispatched from Agra to Kolkata carried eight tonn of relief material and equipment and 110 passengers.
Two sorties from Kolkata to Bagdogra carrying relief material, one AVRO from Palam airbase carrying a 20 member medical team, 02 AN-32 medium lift transport aircraft from Agra to Kolkata carrying relief material and equipment, two Cheetas and two Chetaks for recce mission and 04 Mi-17 aircraft from Bagdogra would also be a part of IAF's rescue and relief operations.
The epicentre of the quake was located at Mangan and Sakyong areas, over 50 kilometres from Gangtok on the Sikkim-Nepal border.
Tremors were also felt in Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chandigarh and Delhi.
The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, had earlier spoken to Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling and offered help in all possible ways. (ANI)