Kuala Lumpur, April 24 (ANI): Two Malay Indian Congress (MIC) leaders have asked PKR vice-president to show proof about his claims that about 300,000 Indians were without birth certificates and identity cards.
The leaders said this after MIC deputy president Dr S. Subramaniam said that only 15,000 people had turned up for the campaign Mydaftar, that was launched last year to register people without documents.
Almost 7000 people were given documents during the campaign that was initiated by the Special Indian Task Force (SITF). Another 2000 applications are under process, The Star reports.
Surendran had earlier led a protest outside Parliament House, demanding that the government identify the 300,000 people and issue them MyKads.
Subramaniam has said that some opposition leaders had brought people without documents to register under the campaign, but was unsure if Surendran had brought anyone.
MIC Youth chief T. Mohan said that he did not believe Surendran's claims as he was handling these cases since the late 1990s.
"He has been quiet all this while, but now he's trying to be a champion as the election is coming," he said. (ANI)
Read More: Shashank Subramaniam | Malaysia | Mumbai Indians | Parliament House | D. K. Mohan Garden Po | Air Force Station Tugalkabad | Air Force | Mohan Nagar | Mohan Bhandari | Mohan | Khad Mohan Nagar | Mohan Sankari | Sarai Mohan | Vadsar Air Force | Mohan Garh | Mohan Nagar Durg | Cochin Special Economic Zone | Raja Ram Mohan Sarani | Mon Mohan Gaon | Mohan Darwan