Manama (Bahrain), April 19 (IANS) The Bahrain Grand Prix slated for the weekend got off to a worst possible start as a Force India team vehicle survived a fire bomb here Wednesday night before making its way into the circuit.
The bomb attack took place when the team vehicle was making its way from the Grand Prix circuit back to its hotel. None of the four team members, who were in the vehicle, were injured.
According to media reports, the vehicle came under attack when it was caught up in traffic when anti-government protesters clashed with security forces.
'Nobody was hurt from our team. We were not targeted directly by Molotov cocktails. We were just caught up in the traffic and the we were not the target,' said Force India spokesman Will Hings.
Autosport, however, reported that one member of Force India hase decided to leave Bahrain and return home after this incident.
Several demonstrations were held in and around Manama Wednesday night and protesters clashed with security forces. Fire bombs are being regularly used in these attacks.
The Bahrain GP was cancelled last year after anti-government protests in the Gulf kingdom claimed nearly 50 lives.
But last week, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone gave a green signal to the race declaring the Bahrain was safe to host this year's race.
Hings said the race, over the weekend, will continue as scheduled and world motorsports body FIA was monitoring the situation.
'We are working under the guidance from FIA and I am sure they are keeping a close eye on the development in the area,' Hings said.
Read More: Bahrain | N.i.area | Air Force Station Tugalkabad | Air Force | Ind.area Sarojininagar Po | Air Force Station Bareilly Dso | Khalilabad I.area | Vadsar Air Force | India Security Press | Devlali Air Force | Indl.area Nagpur So | Survey Of India | State Bank Of India | Pachrukhi | Gambhria | Jasauli | Itwa Bartwalia | Ratanparauli | Paterha | Hajipur Ind.area