'Joint effort needed to eliminate fake goods'
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Consumer awareness is the key to curb the growing menace of counterfeit goods, which is widespread across the country right from fake medicines, automobile parts to cosmetic products, an official here said Wednesday.
"Counterfeiting is a growing menace, it is hurting everybody - consumers, industry and the exchequer. All sectors of the industry should join hands in a drive to meet the challenges posed by such illegal activities," said Pankaj Agrawala, special secretary, department of consumer affairs.
Agrawala was speaking at a day-long seminar on "Developing a Pro-active Strategy to curb counterfieting" on the World Anti-Counterfeiting Day organised by leading industry lobby, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) forum Committee on Anti-Smuggling and Counterfeiting Activities Destroying Economy (CASCADE).
He also said that the industry should work with the government for educating public on the dire implications of counterfeit goods.
"We need to curb this menace by educating youngsters. Some of the measures could be including lessons on anti-counterfeiting in economic classes," he added.
According to FICCI-CASCADE, the share of fake/counterfeit medicines was estimated at 15-20 percent of the total Indian market, soft drinks at 10 percent and fake cosmetics, toiletry and packaged foods estimated 10-30 percent.
Read More: World Bank | A.k.market | Indian Press | Anti | Matri Indian Antartic Station | June Pargaon | June Mohide | R.s.market | June Belgaum | World University Centre | Indian Institute Of Technology | Federation Buildings | T.c.market | Indian Research Po | Raja J.n.market | June Belda | Indian Nation | Indian School Of Mines | Indian Rail | Central Institute of Indian Language
7 ROB ATM MACHINE FILLED WITH CASH
June 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM
SALWA JUDUM SPO BRUTALLY BEATEN UP BY POLICE OFFICER (NNIS SPECIAL)
June 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
BJP SAYS, IT IS SETTING THE AGENDA FIRST FOR DELHI POLLS
June 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM