Alert employees save 64 newborns in Assam hospital
Guwahati, April 21 (IANS) Timely intervention by intensive care unit employees saved 64 young lives from choking to death at a hospital here Saturday.
A major tragedy was averted at the Guwahati Medical College and Hospitals (GMCH) when employees detected dense smoke coming out of the neo-natal intensive care unit around 1 a.m. and took immediate steps to ensure the safety of 64 babies admitted there, said GMCH principal K.C. Saikia.
"The incident took place due to electrical short-circuit in one of the air conditioners installed in the unit. The smoke immediately spread out to other areas of the hospital. However, our alert employees immediately shifted all the babies to another room," Saikia said.
The principal said that all the babies were safe now.
"It could have been a major tragedy, had there been a little delay. The situation is now under control," said Saikia, adding that an inquiry has been ordered to look into the matter.
-- Indo-Asian News Service
Read More: Lady Harding Medical College | Medical College | Gsvm Medical College | Medical College Po | B.r.d Medical College | Mlb Medical College So | Madras Medical College | Kilpauk Medical College | Thanjavur Medical College So | Defence Service Staff College | Pariyaram Medical College | Calicut Medical College Mdg | Alappuzha Medical College | Guwahati Gpo | Guwahati University Ho | Guwahati Airport | North Guwahati | No.2 Saikia Chuburi | Assam Medical College | Silchar Medical College
SONIA GANDHI DEPLORES NAXAL ATTACK ON CONGRESS LEADERS
May 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM
SHIKARA TREK BEGINS IN J&K AFTER 30 YEARS (NNIS Exclusive)
May 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
CONG LEADER KILLED, PARTY CHIEF ABDUCTED IN NAXAL ATTACK IN CG
May 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM