TAPIOCA CULTIVATION BECOMES IMPORTANT COMMERCIAL CROPS IN SOUTHERN INDIA
NATURAL WITH TAMIL AND ENGLISH SPEECH
TV AND WEB RESTRICTIONS: NO ACCESS BBC
Tapioca cultivation becomes important commercial crops in southern India.
Farmers in India's southern Tamil Nadu state switch to Tapioca cultivation used as a raw material for several industrial products.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2010) (ANI-NO ACCESS BBC)
1. FARMERS UPROOTING TAPIOCA PLANT
2. FARMERS ARRANGING TAPIOCA PLANTS
3. FARMERS UPROOTING TAPIOCA PLANTS
4. A TAPIOCA PLANT BEING UPROOTED
5. TAPIOCA PLANT BEING LYING ON GROUND
6. FARMERS UPROOTING TAPIOCA PLANTS
7. TAPIOCA LYING ON GROUND
8. FARMERS PLUCKING TAPIOCA FROM THE PLANT
9. WOMEN PLUCKING TAPIOCA
10. FARMERS PLUCKING TAPIOCA FROM THE PLANT
11. (SOUNDBITE) (Tamil) PALANISAMY, A FARMER, SAYING:"I am doing three acres of Tapioca cultivation. We have received per acres seven to 25 tonnes yield. It has been marketed between three to five thousand rupees. This is the best crop for drought as we receive 1.25 thousand per hectare. We are also enjoying rupees 4000 subsidy from the Horticulture department."
12. TAPIOCA BEING PUT IN A BASKET
13. FARMER CARRYING TAPIOCA KEPT IN A BASKET
14. FARMERS PUTTING TAPIOCA PLANT IN A BASKET
15. FARMERS CARRYING TAPIOCA KEPT IN A BASKET
16. FARMERS LOADING TAPIOCA IN A TRUCK
17. TAPIOCA CROP
18. TAPIOCA CROP KEPT IN A TRUCK
19. A WOMAN LOADING TAPIOCA IN A TRUCK
20. (SOUNDBITE) (English) DURAI SAMY, DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF HORTICULTURE DEPARTMENT, SAYING:"So concerned with the department we are giving technology transfer as well as intervention of the scientific cultivation among the farmers for which we have given training at tapioca research centre in Thiruvananthapuram."
21. TAPIOCA CROP BEING WEIGHED
22. FARMERS PUTTING TAPIOCA CROP IN A WEIGHING SCALE
23. A WEIGHING SCALE
24. TAPIOCA CROP BEING DIPPED IN WATER
STORY: Farmers in India's southern state of Tamil Nadu have switched to Tapioca cultivation as raw material for several industrial products.
The province stands first in respect of processing of Tapioca into starch and sago and hence this crop has now acquired a status of one of the important commercial crops in the state.
In the state, this crop is being cultivated over an area of about 82000 hectares providing employment to thousands of workers.
"I am doing three acres of Tapioca cultivation. We have received per acres seven to 25 tonnes yield. It has been marketed between three to five thousand rupees. This is the best crop for drought as we receive 1.25 thousand per hectare. We are also enjoying rupees 4000 subsidy from the Horticulture department," said Palanisamy, a farmer in the region.
Tapioca and its finished products are used as food, animal feed and as raw material for several industrial products.
Tapioca crop grown in the state has been exported to many countries including Vietnam, Thailand and Brazil to name a few.
The Horticulture department has been providing scientific training to the farmers in the province.
"So concerned with the department we are giving technology transfer as well as intervention of the scientific cultivation among the farmers for which we have given training at tapioca research centre in Thiruvananthapuram," said Durai Samy, Deputy Director of Horticulture Department.
Tapioca is a tropical crop requiring warm humid climate. It requires well-distributed annual rainfall when grown under rain fed conditions.
It is known for its drought tolerance.
Tapioca crop also plays a vital role for food and medical usages in and around the world.
Tapioca is adequately produced in the southern parts of India, mainly in southern states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
Read More: MUMBAI:: GATE WAY OF INDIA | CHENNAI | INDIA - General Information | GOLDEN INDIA PARTY | RESERVE BANK OF INDIA | STUDENTS ISLAMIC MOVEMENT OF INDIA | SUPREME COURT OF INDIA | ALL INDIA ANNA DRAVIDA MUNNETRA KAZHGAM | INDIA | Thailand | Brazil | Thiruvananthapuram | Tamil Nadu | Kerala | S.v.u. P.g .centre | G.s.t.centre | K.p.centre | Tamil University | Panchanathikulam Nadu Sethi | Nad | Ker | K.r.centre | English | Andhra
TWO HELD FOR RAPING NURSE IN HOTEL
August 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM
MIDAS TOUCH GONE, MSD FACES CRICKET FANS WRATH
August 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM
INDIA, PAKISTAN WALKING THE TALK IS GOOD SEPERATIST LEADER
August 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Arun Jaitely on Indo-Pak secretary level talks called off
August 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Calling off Foreign Secretary level talks between India and Pak unfortunate: Shabir Shah
August 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Zoroastrians celebrate their New Year day across India
August 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM
satheeshFebruary 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM